Microfluidics Technology in Infectious Disease Research and Surveillance
In a short period of time, a novel coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) has impacted our lives, society and health care infrastructure. To address critical needs for clinical research and public health surveillance, Fluidigm products are supporting global laboratory efforts by delivering:
- Cost-efficient workflows that minimize reagent consumption using microfluidics technology
- Scalable throughput that enables the testing of >6,000 samples per day
- Flexible panel designs that enable users to easily add, remove or change assays without changing technologies
Labs around the world have leveraged the benefits of Fluidigm microfluidics for research and implemented high-throughput lab developed tests (LDT) for SARS-CoV-2 detection.
Whether you are seeking to gain new insights into infectious disease research or public health surveillance or to accelerate therapeutic development, we can help you reach your goal.
Publications and Resources
- Publication: Down-regulated gene expression spectrum and immune responses changed during the disease progression in COVID-19 patients | Ouyang, Y. Yin, J., Wang, W. et al. Clinical Infectious Disease (2020): ciaa462
In this article, the authors describe the use of Biomark HD™ in a study focusing on severe COVID-19 infections. The study found decreased T cell populations along with down-regulated gene expression related to T cell activation and differentiation, “which may help to provide effective treatment strategies for COVID-19.”
Review the latest press releases about viral detection and infectious disease research by Fluidigm and our customers and partners below:
- GnomeDX Files for FDA Emergency Use Authorization for Rapid Turnaround Real-Time RT-PCR COVID-19 Test Utilizing the Fluidigm Biomark HD Platform
- Integrated Genetics Lab Services Conducting COVID-19 Testing in Spain Utilizing Fluidigm Biomark HD Platform
- OU Medicine, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center and Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation File for FDA Emergency Use Authorization for COVID-19 Detection Test Utilizing Fluidigm Technology
Joel Guthridge, PhD
Assistant Member, Arthritis and Clinical Immunology Research Program
Director of Translational Informatics & Clinical Resources Director of Human Phenotyping Core and of Biorepository Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation
Register to watch
Available now: Pathogen Detection using the Advanta RT-PCR Kit
Infectious disease research and surveillance play a critical role in improving global health care. Information acquired from research drives public health policy for preventive measures, drug treatment and vaccine development. PCR based applications such as reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) are commonly used to detect viral and bacterial pathogens.
The Advanta RT-PCR Kit—192.24 provides scalable, high-throughput pathogen detection through nanoliter-scale volumes with walkaway automation. Using the 192.24 Dynamic Array™ IFC (integrated fluidic circuit) enables rapid data acquisition of up to 192 samples across 24 targets: up to 4,608 reactions every 35 minutes.
|Proprietary microfluidics technology||Nanoliter-volume reactions ensure low cost per sample.|
|Modular system that allows up to 6,000 samples to be processed in a day||Highly scalable to fit laboratory’s needs|
|Up to 24 molecular targets in a single run||Preserve precious sample while providing comprehensive molecular pictures of the sample.|
|Up to 4,608 datapoints in a single run||Save time by accessing more information per run.|
Advanta RT-PCR Kit—192.24, 10 IFCs
Efficient—Maximize your budget with microfluidics technology by using up to 50 times less reagent than traditional PCR methods.
Scalable—Run nearly 6,000 samples in a 24-hour workflow on each Biomark™ HD and Juno™ system.
Flexible—Detect up to 24 unique pathogens per sample, such as SARS-CoV-2, influenza A and other respiratory disease pathogens.